Saturday, June 21, 2014

The One Who Came Back {a little bird told me}

Today - some paraphrasing.



The story goes that a really righteous Dude healed ten guys infected with a skin-rotting disease and told them all to go get checked by the official so they could get back to their families and lives. And nine clean-skinned guys did just that. Then there was the one who came back. Dropped right down on his knees and said Thanks. Praised the Healer. Let the joy out - expressed, shared.



And the righteous Dude? He asked about the others, knowing they were changed too. Life changed. As in - radically restored. Their response was to go and do what He commanded. But that's the thing with gratitude - He doesn't necessarily command it. 

But He does appreciate it. 

I tell people sometimes - when they ask, and maybe when they don't. Tell them, "If you want to put a smile on God's face, tell Him Thanks." Not because He commands it or demands it (He could), but because He deserves it. Compels it. Woos it. He gives extravagant gifts of love, healing, restoration, joy - and why wouldn't we? Every. Single. Breath.

A feeble attempt today as I paraphrase Psalm 136, the gratitude Psalm if there ever was one.


You alone are worthy.

Your love never stops giving.

Thank You for being my Sovereign One.

Your love just keeps on giving.

You are higher than any other.

Your love never gives up.

Thank You for miracles.

Your love keeps going on and on.

Thank You for this amazing creation all around.

Your love is still giving.

Thank You for oceans and hills.

Your love never fails.

Thank You for space, and the sun that warms me, shows me Your love.

Your love doesn't stop.

Thank You for the nights, so lovely.

Your love doesn't quit.

Thank You for provision, even when it's cloaked in tragedy.

Your love never changes.

Thank You for rescuing me from slavery and prison.

Your love is endless.

Thank You for holding us all and making a Way to worship You in freedom.

Your love never ceases.

Thank You for safe travel and for squelching our enemy's schemes.

Your love is unending.

Thank You for leading us to the places You choose, to the best land.

Your love is unfailing.

Thank You for overcoming the hurdles and barriers that stand in our way.

Your love endures forever and ever.

Thank You for displaying Your sovereign rule for all to see.

Your love never fails me.

Thank You for defeating those proud slanderers who have no clue about us.

Your love doesn't end.

Thank You for giving us blessings we didn't have to work for, and for granting all we need and more.

Your love goes on and on. 

Thank You for never letting us out of Your sight for a second.

Your love is ever-faithful.

Thank You for saving us from those with ill-intent, those would-be destroyers and tramplers.

Your love never ceases to amaze me.

Thank You for generosity to us poor beggars.

Your love is ever-giving and extravagant.

Thank You, God. All we have is from You. You alone deserve every ounce of credit.

Your fountain of love never runs dry. 



If we stop and go back, let it be to say Thanks.

People ask me questions sometimes. Not that I claim expertise, but I do like to answer when I can. My own personal alms to give, though aren't we all poor in some way or other? If you have a question, I'd like to answer, Dear Reader. Some of the questions I've had recently include:

How do I know how to help in this world of corruption?

How can I memorize Scripture? I'm no good at it...

Am I crazy for thinking I love him?

How am I supposed to be open and honest without airing all of my junk?

So, how about you, Dear Soul - do you want to ask a question too? Here's the invitation I give here in my nest: Have you ever wanted to ask a question about life, God, the Bible, relationships, people, church, or anything? (That last one is scary, but that's why I need the Holy Spirit to write through me.) Go ahead and ask me! Just slip your anonymous question into the comments section below, and sign it with a fun salutation like Wishing I Could Fight or Hopelessly In Love With The Wrong One.  I'll do some research and write back to you next week here in the nest. My answers come from the Bible, revelation from God (as He generously gives - see James 1), and personal experience. And then, when it comes up in your conversations with others, you can always say, "Well, a little bird once told me ..." *wink*



Keep looking, reading, writing, and thanking. He is Worthy.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Robyn. Love the fact that one in ten went back... I want to be the 1 in 10.

    ReplyDelete