Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Bit of a Ramble, If I May {Follow}

Missing these guys,





I pack boxes under duress, stress going right in with the dishes and books and baskets and lamps and the how-am-I-ever-gonna-get-that-in-a-box paintings. My guy hunches over heavy decisions and yes, *blush*, there may or may not have been some shouting this week. Transition brings out our differences like a hammer-knocked thumb and oh my, are we so very different ... Transition brings out hope too, though, and I have a fair portion of that lately also. Above all, this I learn - transition refines the follower in me.

Following with excellence boils down to trust. Boiling cauldrons full of stressful choices large and small characterize transition, and all this bubbling, pounding becomes a repeating echo He asks again: "Will you trust Me?"

If I answer yes, I know what He'll say next.

"Then follow Me."

Which boils down to humility. As much control as I'd wield if I could for my own facade of comfort, I would. But what then? I wouldn't be following, I'd be rebelling. And I'm left with one choice. Surrender. Again. 

Because I'm no good at being sovereign, but I do know the One who is.

Yesterday the verse leaped off thin pages and landed in my soul like an anchor.


“No chance at all,” Jesus said, “if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you trust God to do it.” - Luke 18:27 (Msg) [emphasis mine]



I'm loving these bold lines He draws with me. I haven't always - loved them, that is. Today I devour them like candy. Try it on your own, fail every time; trust Me and follow Me, it's guaranteed. 

And what choice do I have? 

This humbling passage rolls through my recesses today:


“Welcome, Prince,” said Aslan. “Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingship of Narnia?”“I—I don’t think I do, Sir,” said Caspian. “I’m only a kid.”
“Good,” said Aslan. “If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been a proof that you were not. Therefore, under us and under the High King, you shall be King of Narnia..." - C.S. Lewis, Prince Caspian

If I'm to follow Him, I must trust Him to do it - every part. I am merely the one cooperating, receiving, walking in the paths He paves with holy Feet. He's readying them for my gospel-shod soles too.  

Is following Jesus easy? Hardly. Is there any other way? Not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment