Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Value of Faithful


Massive monuments start as small stones. Lifetimes are built from moments, and organizations are a million common actions in the same direction. A teaspoon of faithfulness seasons a whole batch of character.



God refers to Himself as Faithful. It's an adjective the Almighty uses to describe His Divine Being to mortals.

"The Lord passed in front of Moses, calling out, 'Yahweh! The Lord! The God of compassion and mercy! I am slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.' " - Exodus 34:6 (NLT) [emphasis mine]

I'll never forget the question my mother asked me when I was old enough to choose God. "How do you know God is real?" I didn't know how to answer, so she helped me. "He does what He says. What He promises in the Bible - it comes true, both in history, and in your life." I don't know if she realized in that moment how her words would change me.

His faithfulness proves His existence, even proves His love.

Can that be said of me, His follower? While I won't be perfect, and neither will you, Dear One, we are being conformed to His likeness. Our faithfulness will grow. More of what we promise will come to pass, the more we surrender to His power to change us. And this is what we follow, this is who we become - Faithful.

Have you committed to something in zeal without counting the cost?

Have you backed out on a commitment or a relationship God wanted you to see through?

Have you made excuses instead of making promises; instead of keeping them?

Have you gone right when the voice in your heart said to go left?

Have you said the words you swore you'd never say?

Have you left untended the dream you promised your heart you'd achieve?

Believe me, I'm preaching this to my soul too first, Reader. Getting my plank out before I look for your splinter. I've failed at faithfulness more times than I care to count, but this: progress. I press on. I pursue His likeness. I cooperate with His molding. I desire to reflect Him. It starts small and builds, it grows. This snowball of faithfulness rolling toward avalanches. 

What faithful steps can we take today that will emulate our Lord Jesus, and what bricks can we lay on the foundation of our lives that will speak to all, "I have done what I set out to do"?


1 comment:

  1. "You ask me how I know He lives - He lives inside my heart"

    ReplyDelete