Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Well, what do I do with this?

Thank you for grace, Dear Reader, as I've taken August as a hiatus from blogging. Sometimes a writer needs to leave thoughts unpublished, and I'm fully convinced that what I DON'T say is equally important as what I do. Words are heavy and sometimes take a long time to be weighed. Rest assured, my journal is full of thoughts, and some of them are forthcoming here in the nest. I'm thankful for your patience, and His.

At the dawn of September, I'm glad to be back here, writing again on Tuesday about justice and the fight against human trafficking. I hope to give you an update tomorrow on Simple, and of course I've been counting my gratitude, so Thursday will be another glorification of God as I share how He's given me new gifts. And, on Friday - I have a fun writing prompt, followed by "a little bird told me" on Saturday. So -without further ado - back in the saddle, back in the nest, back with you, Dear Heart.

When it comes to trafficking issues, I've noticed that (like many things) people have given over to debating instead of acting. Why do you suppose that is? Why do we like to argue, balk, discuss, and banter when there's so much to do? We could argue whether or not we should be talking about global trafficking before we address the issue here in North America, or we could debate what's more important - rescue or restoration. How about this - let's bicker about how effective organizations are or are not in the war against human trafficking. 

Or maybe ... we don't. Maybe we should just do what God has prepared for us to do.

Without all that chit chat. 

"For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." -Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)

The degradation of a human to a commodity is an atrocity. So what will we do about it today? 

Here are a few suggestions, but I hope you'll listen to Father before you take my advice. My hope is that those two align.

1. Pray with me. When you're driving and you hit a red light - pray for red light districts around the world, and "red light conditions." Choose a time to fast, and intercede for the oppressed, enslaved, imprisoned. Plead on their behalf. Use the Scripture such as this (for example) :

"[The slave is] worn out waiting for your rescue,
    but [she has] put [her] hope in your word.
82 [Her] eyes are straining to see your promises come true.
    When will you comfort [her]?
83 [She is] shriveled like a wineskin in the smoke,
    but [she has] not forgotten to obey your decrees.
84 How long must [we] wait?
    When will you punish those who persecute [us]?
85 These arrogant people who hate your instructions
    have dug deep pits to trap [her].
86 All your commands are trustworthy.
    Protect [her] from those who hunt [her] down without cause.
87 They almost finished [her] off,
    but I refused to abandon your commandments.
88 In your unfailing love, spare [her] life;
    then [we] can continue to obey your laws." -Psalm 119:82-88 (NLT)


2. Be part of a Search and Rescue Team. I've been following, supporting, blogging with the folks at The Exodus Road for nearly a year now, and I can testify that they are genuine, full of integrity, and passionate about freedom. They are making real rescue happen, and changing lives every day with the hope of God. Start getting reports of God's hand of grace in the lives of modern-day slaves today. You won't regret it. Want to be on my team? I'm with Bravo (in India), but you'll find three other teams domestically and abroad, so pray and DO. Rescue a slave today.

3. Speak up. The more people who know the evils of trafficking, the better. The more we stick our heads in the sand and self-focus, the worse. I don't know how else to put it. People matter to God, so they matter to me. It's worth whatever uncomfortable conversation I need to have. Freedom is available, but it's not free. I use my voice most often in print, but you must use your voice where God deems it most effective. And don't worry, He'll give you the words you need at the time you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment